As a user of WooBookings and WooCommerce you’ve taken the first steps towards providing the best booking experience for your customers. However you may still be dealing with paper-based forms in order to capture consent details from parents for their children.
This article describes how you can eliminate paper-based consent forms by integrating the capture of consent details as part of the booking process. Also covered are 5 tips on how to best manage parental consent.
Frustration with Paper-Based Forms
Are you responsible for capturing registration details and parent’s consent for your organisation?
Is this a familiar sight? Does it fill you with dread?
Getting forms filled in so that parents can register their children for an activity at your organisation is often fraught with difficulties. It’s usually the second step when your customer interacts with your organisation in order to get their child signed-up to attend a class or activity after they have called or emailed you about the activity.
Then you’ll know that form filling, especially paper-based forms and their ongoing management, is a costly affair.
People don’t like to fill in forms. Then there is the issue of managing the forms once they are filled. Do you capture the data from the form electronically? How do you file them? Where do you store them? Can you find the child and parent’s details quickly in case of an emergency? These are all problems that arise when using a paper-based system for managing registration and recording parental consent.
The Need for Parent’s Consent and Agreement
As an organisation providing classes or activities for children, consent is needed from parents for the following:
Medical Treatment – In case of an emergency, when parents cannot be contacted, medical details about the child and associated consent for giving treatment
Use of Media – Such as photographs or videos of children by the organisation or by an approved 3rd party.
Terms & Conditions – Agreement to any financial or other terms and conditions
5 Tips to Manage Parental Consent
The primary objective for any WooCommerce capable website is to provide a booking and checkout experience that involves as little stress for the customer as possible.
Keeping the parents in mind is key. They are often juggling their time between work and children. When they do have a spare 10 minutes to book an activity for their children then they want the process to be as quick as possible.
With this in mind, the following will help ensure a smooth checkout experience:
1. Integrate the capture of child details into the booking and checkout process. e.g. number of children, names and ages, that will form part of the booking and the information will be available to the organisation and directly linked to the order.
2. Allow parents to review, edit and complete consent details as part of their user profile on WooCommerce. This allows parents to change their minds about their information as well as the information relating to their children on an ongoing basis. Less location, adjustment and refiling of paper-based forms!
3. Only show names of children that have completed consent details for subsequent bookings.
4. Allow authorised staff to easily search for a child and parents details, in case of an emergency. It’s important to have as much depth of detail as possible on hand, always. Having emergency search functionality allows staff to access information wherever and whenever necessary.
5. Combine child consent with general data privacy consent, so that all consent management is in a single place. Gone are the days of managing information and consent in different files or folders, now it’s all in one place.
Quick Implementation of Consent Management
Using the Consent Manager for WooCommerce Plugin, you can quickly implement consent management for your WooCommerce website. The tips described above are all incorporated into the plugin together with additional features for managing personal data. Consent management together with GDPR, and website terms are all managed from a central place.